Wednesday, September 26, 2012

garden of greatness.

Why hello there, 

Have you ever gone somewhere really awesome and the whole time you are thinking of how on earth you are going to explain this to your friends so that it sounds as awesome as it actually is? This was one of those moments. And at the risk of my description not doing it justice, I think you should all just take my word for it and come visit me in Portland. 

An old Poor Farm built in 1911 is now home to McMenamins or as I like to say, a playground for adults. "On the grounds, you will find an array of diversions. Enjoy fine-dining restaurant, classic pub, numerous small bars and a summertime grill. Take a turn about one of the two par-3 golf courses. Schedule a massage, manicure and much more at Ruby’s Spa. Wander about the extensive gardens (glass of wine or pint of ale in hand), visit the onsite glass-blower and potter, have a look at extensive artwork on walls, pipes and more, watch a recent-run movie in the theater, or listen to live music." ...that's all, right? I know. 

We spent a few hours wandering around the grounds after having dinner in the pub but spent most of our time in the gardens. The smells of this beautiful place were sweet and fresh.  I couldn't get over the beautiful sunflowers growing everywhere not to mention just about every fruit and vegetable you could think of. 

I'm not sure if it was the realization that a place like this actually exists or the combination of being there during the golden hour and catching a little glimpse of a wedding taking place but I left feeling like I had just been somewhere kind of magical.


Fondly from Portland, 
Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips