Saturday, November 10, 2012

the late little bagel.


Hey y'all! 

I wanted to share a funny story with you this afternoon. Well I shouldn't assume that you will think it is funny but here it goes: 

When I stepped foot in Orlando International airport to come out to Portland exactly two months ago, I was really excited, really nervous and really hungry. Of all three, hunger was definitely in the lead so I decided to get something to eat as soon as I got into the terminal. After I chose the only place that looked even somewhat appealing and trans fat free, I realized that everyone else had done the same thing and I was now standing in a very long line. After about ten minutes, I started to get a little worried that I had made a huge error in my assessment of the length of the line versus the amount of time I had to board my plane. As I (im)patiently waited in line, hunger and nervousness felt like they were doing the tango in my stomach. 

I finally ordered my food and made it over to stand with the group of people who were still waiting,  but this time with their receipts out for their order number to be called. It was like we were all about to win the lottery. It seemed like a hundred people had been called so I knew I had to be up soon and all of the sudden DING! DONG! DING! A peppy, louud voice comes on the intercom: "Emily Pullen! Where are you? We don't want you to miss your plane to Portland." 

OH NO. Nervousness had now manifested itself into sweating as I paced back and forth waiting for number 224 to be called. Finally! I grabbed the brown paper bag and frantically shoved the ridiculously overpriced bagel sandwich in my backpack without taking even ONE bite. Using my best mall power walking skills, I scurried to the Southwest check in desk. Completely out of breath from carrying two (arguably larger than allowed) carry on bags, I approached the desk, "I'm here. I'm Emily."

The most cheerful woman on the planet looked at me and said, "Oh good. I'm so glad that you're here. It's going to be a great day because Emily is here." I smiled back at her and tried to make it less obvious that I was out of breath, sweating and on the brink of tears. 

I had made it just in time to be the last person to board the plane which consequently meant sitting in the last row in a middle seat. Still out of breath, I wiggled my way between a very kind flight attendant named Charlotte and a man who was suffering from severe sleep apnea and was also taking up 1/4 of my already tiny seat. My leg became his armrest as he nodded on and off between sips of orange soda. I sat completely still for a few minutes when I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to reach my bagel sandwich let alone have enough room to eat it. My only hope was in a tiny bag of airplane peanuts and four ounces of tomato juice. The first leg of this trip ended two hours later and this hungry Florida girl finally enjoyed the almost-missed-my-plane bagel sandwich in the windy city of Chicago. 

A few morals to this little story: One, don't buy overpriced airport food, pack a snack. Two, always try and be early, there is a lot less sweating involved when you're early. And three, don't pack all of your heaviest items in your carry on bag, your shoulder will eventually feel like it is falling off. You should however make a semi-spontaneous decision to go on a trip because you will have great airport stories to tell at a later, less sensitive date. 

Have a great weekend friends!

Fondly from Portland, 
Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips